|Photos of 368th FG Graves
Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery and Memorial
Thank you Mr. Alain Rosseels for taking these photos
and honoring our fallen brothers.
The Henri-Chapelle American Cemetery and Memorial in Belgium, covering 57 acres, rest 7,992 of our military
dead, most of whom lost their lives during the advance of the U.S. armed forces into Germany. Their
headstones are arranged in gentle arcs sweeping across a broad green lawn that slopes gently downhill. A
highway passes through the reservation. West of the highway an overlook affords an excellent view of the
rolling Belgian countryside, once a battlefield.
To the east is the long colonnade that, with the chapel and map room, forms the memorial overlooking the
burial area. The chapel is simple but richly ornamented. In the map room are two maps of military operations,
carved in black granite, with inscriptions recalling the achievements of our forces. On the rectangular piers
of the colonnade are inscribed the names of 450 missing. Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered
and identified. The seals of the states and territories are also carved on these piers.
The cemetery possesses great military historic significance as it holds fallen Americans of two major efforts,
one covering the U.S. First Army's drive in September 1944 through northern France, Belgium, Holland and
Luxembourg into Germany, the second covering the Battle of the Bulge. It was from the temporary cemetery
at Henri-Chapelle that the first shipments of remains of American war dead were returned to the U.S. for
permanent burial. The repatriation program began on July 27, 1947 at a special ceremony at the cemetery
when the disinterment began. The first shipment of 5,600 American war dead from Henri-Chapelle left
Antwerp, Belgium the first week of October 1947. An impressive ceremony was held, with over 30,000
Belgium citizens attending along with representatives of the Belgium government and senior Americans.