|Photos of 368th FG Graves and Wall of the Missing
Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial
Thank you Mr. Eric Manetti for taking these photos
and honoring our fallen brothers.
The Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial in France is located on the site of the
temporary American St. Laurent Cemetery, established by the U.S. First Army on June 8, 1944
and the first American cemetery on European soil in World War II. The cemetery site, at the
north end of its ½ mile access road, covers 172.5 acres and contains the graves of 9,387 of our
military dead, most of whom lost their lives in the D-Day landings and ensuing operations. On
the Walls of the Missing in a semicircular garden on the east side of the memorial are inscribed
1,557 names. Rosettes mark the names of those since recovered and identified.
The memorial consists of a semicircular colonnade with a loggia at each end containing large
maps and narratives of the military operations; at the center is the bronze statue, "Spirit of
American Youth." An orientation table overlooking the beach depicts the landings in Normandy.
Facing west at the memorial, one sees in the foreground the reflecting pool; beyond is the burial
area with a circular chapel and, at the far end, granite statues representing the U.S. and France.
Malcomb A. Smith